Thursday, June 30, 2011

Joy and Hope

I know that I’ve been going on and on about how fun summer has been so far, like how I have been serving goldfish crackers and apple juice on the lido deck and going to the pool and the park and whatever else we can cram in a summer day.
And that is all true, but I have to say that there is this app running in the background, draining my batteries. It’s something I’ll probably struggle with forever. And that, my friends, is creating and maintaining personal boundaries. (I would say *maintaining* is the key word, no?)  I have talked about it here, here, here, and here to name just a few.


I guess any true and lasting change takes time. I can’t rewire my brain in the course of six months or a year or even two. It takes diligence and discipline.

I find that my regression happens around certain people and events. It’s like I’m clicking along on the self-respect train, doing alright, and then a roadblock suddenly sneaks up and tries to derail all the work that I have done. And as Sir Topham Hatt would say, “You are causing confusion and delay.”

What can I say? Bad habits are hard to break.

But sometimes, in the midst of slow progress, moments of light and love shine through, moments that I would not otherwise have the joy of experiencing if I hadn’t redirected my intentions. In these moments I realize that my hard work is worth it, that I have made real progress, and that I do have the power to make healthy changes in my life.

I recently read an article in a magazine that talked about energy and how a person only possess so much of it; therefore, it’s imperative to practice caution where the energy is spent.

If I stop dwelling on the negative and trying to make situations into something they are not and never will be, there’s room for genuine happiness and joy.

It seems easy enough, right?

Maintaining boundaries is something I will be working on for a very long time and I will have bad days, but when I experience these moments, I am filled with not only joy, but hope.

Joy and hope. . . not a bad way to start off the holiday weekend.

Have a great weekend, everyone!!

2 comments:

JoAnna said...

I have to say that I truly live for summer days and that scares me a little. I can only make it through the doldrums of winter because I know that summer is coming. And then I worry that it will end too soon and I'll be back in the winter blahs again. I will say that blogging helped A LOT with the blahs last winter!! Enjoy all that summer has to offer!!!

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

You know, I thought that I was happy hibernating on the couch all winter. But not as much as I love doing fun stuff in the summer time! I might have to think only twice if the opportunity ever came up to move to a warmer climate.