Thursday, November 21, 2013

Thankful Thursday: Yoga and Kids


This week I really had to struggle to find things to be thankful for.  I have had A LOT on my mind, and I feel it all came crashing in on me this morning when I had my first ocular migraine since I was 25, which may or may not have coincided with getting married that year.  So yes, I did my best to shut that down (the migraine, not the wedding) so I could plow through my to do list.  And in retrospect, if I had to do plan that wedding over again, I would seriously consider eloping.  But in the spirit of focusing on thankfulness, I will save that for another post.

This week I am thankful for yoga.  Red Lotus Yoga is one of my most favorite places in the whole entire world.  I know I have said it before here, here, and here , but I always leave recharged and more positive.  This week I was able to make to yoga TWICE!  The main message was to think about how we could apply what we learn about our edge on the mat to life off the mat, especially around the holidays.  The same breath we use to work through a difficult pose can be applied to a difficult personal situation.  I really needed to be reminded of this, especially when it is so easy for me to get wrapped up in drama.  Thank you, Red Lotus, for offering me respite during the holiday season.


I am also thankful for my kids.  Lately, I feel that I am just pushing through to the next thing, the next task, and the next item on the never-ending to do list.  Today I had two special moments that made me pause and be thankful for the magic hidden in everyday moments.

Here is a picture of Marie.  She was so proud to dress up like an author.  When I took this photo of her, she said, “Are you taking this photo so when I become an author at my first book signing, you will show this to me?”

thankful thursday mommy on the spot


I was struck by the confidence of her voice, void of any doubt and full of certainty.  I was inspired how she is so sure of herself without any sense of cockiness.  It made me question why I feel the need to temper my dreams and accomplishments.

I am also thankful for Thomas.  Here is a photo of us after lunch, cuddling on the couch as I read him his Lego catalog.  He kept on making sure I was covered on the blanket because he didn’t want me to be cold.  At lunch, he said I never have to ask for a taste of his macaroni and cheese because I can just have it.

thankful thursday mommy on the spot


He has the biggest heart of anyone I know, and I am so thankful for that.

What are you feeling thankful for today? 





No comments: