Tuesday, September 6, 2011

To Marie, On Your First Day of Kindergarten


Dear Marie,
This is it; your big day. I know that you are going to *rock* Kindergarten.  I have felt pretty certain of that since you were a baby.  At less than a year old, I saw your spirit emerging during those countless physical and occupational therapy sessions.  I remember when Marge said that you probably wouldn’t walk until you were two.  I also remember when Melissa said that you would have hard time writing and using scissors because you would not have the stamina.

Not only are you running and jumping and dancing, you are swimming. 

Writing stories is one of your favorite things to do, right along with making collages from old photos.

You showed them.  And not in a loud, demonstrative kind of way either.  You don’t make a production out of it.  You just do what you have to do in an unassuming way . . . yet with the fiercest sense of determination.

Simply said, you are a do-er that perseveres during difficult times and pays no attention to the negativity of naysayers. 

Quite a life lesson to be learned at the tender age of five, if I may say so myself.

Even though you are wise beyond your years, I want to tell you a few wishes that I have for you this year. 

You are special.  You deserve to surround yourself with friends that are kind.

Stay away from the drama of the mean girls.  Some people have a hard time believing that they are special, and therefore, they try to bring others down with them.  Just keep your distance.  Believe me, it’s not worth it.

Do your best and know your best is not the same every day. Please be kind to yourself when you are having a bad day.

Understand that no matter what, NO MATTER WHAT, you can tell me anything, and I will always love you.  ALWAYS.

You have amazing instincts: follow them.

Although it’s hard for me to believe that you will be going to Kindergarten, I am so excited to see all the wonderful things you will experience this year.  This may be the end of the baby /toddler/stay-home-with-me days, but it’s just the beginning of your amazing life.

I love you.

Love,

Mommy


2 comments:

D said...

Well, you've managed to make me cry and I'm too tired to stop it. I love your advice. I remember giving the same advice and my kids turned out okay...I guess. Marie is a strong, wonderful and old soul. I had no doubt she would be fine... and you, too. You and mr. marie are doing a great job!

Hugs and love!

RealMommyChron said...

Beautiful! Your daughter AND your words!!!