Friday, September 6, 2013

A Week of Firsts


This week was a week of firsts.  And let me tell you, it has been a flurry of activity.  So , today’s post will be brought to you by Instagram and this awesome new app I am obsessed with called Heyku. 


Marie’s first day of 2nd grade:



I drove her to school per her request.  I stood in line with her.  Until she didn’t want me to stand next to her.  Until she changed her mind and slipped her hand into mine and whispered in my ear that she was a little nervous.  I would be lying if few tears didn’t well up in my eyes as I left the school parking lot.

The next day she took the bus.  Her first time on a new bus was successful!  I was inspired to write this Heyku:



All was well, until it wasn’t.  Here is my Facebook status that was inspired by the first time Marie got on the wrong bus and the school had a difficult time finding her:

I learned a few important lessons that day. But that is a different blog post.




Because I chose not to freak out and quietly implode after she was delivered home safely, I wrote this Hayku after everyone was safe in bed:



If you have been reading my blog or following me on Twitter or Facebook, you know I’ve been busy putting together a new course on social media. Today was the first day of class.  I had a hard time sleeping since I was nervous so I decided to express myself in a HeyKu.  Naturally.



Here I am on the morning of the first day of class.  
Thanks to the great filters and industrial strength makeup,
you don't see the circles and chin acne that sprouted overnight.

   I actually put on real clothes and drove on the big, scary expressway during rush hour traffic to a building I’ve never been to in a city I don’t know very well.  Oh, and the class went very well, too.

Someone else had a big day today, too. 



Thomas went to his first day of PreK 4.  He rocked the first drop off – like a boss.  He sat right down on the carpet and didn’t look back.  

Of course this could all change next week, but I am thankful that at least the first day went well.  It made it easier for me to enjoy my cup of coffee.  In silence.  Doing whatever I want.  Especially eating a cookie the size of my face without having to share.



How was your first week back to school?  Happy?  Sad?  Mixed emotions?

2 comments:

Mama Up! said...

We're not at the school years yet, but oh my gosh, I would be terrified if they couldn't find my kids!

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

It was really scary! In the moment, I was sure that I was the only mother this had every happened to. Turns out, it happens a lot during that first week of school.