Thursday, May 24, 2012

What Do You Think Thursdays with Skinny Scoop: A Personal Reflection through Produce

Please vote for me on the Skinny Scoop's Top 25 Mom Bloggers of 2012!  Click the thumbs up under my name in the link.  Thanks so much!!

The other day, I was at the market and reveling in the fact that is really, truly spring.* There was beautiful asparagus grown right here in Michigan.  I couldn’t wait to try the fresh corn on the cob and the gorgeous, deep purple eggplant from Florida.  I snatched up the sweet, juicy peaches. Oh, and don’t even get me started on the basil plants that just get me all excited for summer weather!

When I go to check out, I start chatting it up with the cashier about how I excited I was to see fresh, domestic produce.  Seriously, it was like I was possessed by spring the way I was going on and on and on about . . . produce.

As I drove away in my red minivan.  Humming Just Like a Rock Star from the Fresh Beat Band. 

I couldn’t believe my ears.  My early-20’s self was cringing. Back then, I would get excited about the unlimited amount of free nacho cheese that was served in the dorms.  I also remember this level of excitement was reserved for stumbling across free beer.  I thought I died and went to heaven when I was a cruise and there was an all-you-can eat soft serve ice cream bar.

But becoming a mother has definitely changed my perspective on all of that.  I take food pretty seriously.  My friends and I talk about healthy foods all the time.  I can go on forever about how I am trying to win the war of having my family eating quinoa.

But more than that, I think that having kids has been a great teacher in living in the moment.  I have learned to be grateful for each season because it brings something special.  And right now, that something special is delicious produce.  I like to prepare them as simply as I can so the vegetable is the true star.  Here’s a list of my faves:







What do you look forward to now that you never thought you would?




 *When living in Michigan, I never feel safe to declare spring until late May because the weather is so erratic. It’s been known to snow in April.  Just sayin’


No comments: