Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Why You Should Go See the Listen to Your Mother Show


Remember when the dad in A Christmas Story when he won his leg lamp, and yelled out in joy, “It’s a major award!”

That’s pretty much how I felt when I found out I was in the cast of Listen to Your Mother.

My blogging friends understand how exciting this is since they know about theListen to Your Mother Show, but my non blogging friends, who have never heard of the show, don’t really know what to think.

When I tell them about being in the show, they are excited because I’m excited. But then there is a shifty, unsure look in their eye since they are not sure what it is all about.

I try to explain that it is a show about motherhood, but then, still confused, I am usually asked questions along these lines:

Will you be performing a monologue? (No, I’ll be reading my piece).

Is it like the Vagina Monologue? (Hmm, I’m not sure about that one).

What will you be reading?  (An essay that I wrote about motherhood).

Since it is still hard to imagine a show where people read stories about motherhood, here is a clip in which Ann Imig, the creator of Listen to Your Mother, talks about the show:


What I love most about this show is that it gives people a platform to tell their story.  The show gives motherhood a voice that is often not heard.  Motherhood can be an isolating experience, given all the polarizing topics.  One often forgets that there are common threads that bind us together, regardless if we are mothers, remembering our mothers, or hope to be mothers.

There is real power in sharing your truth. 

Walls are broken.

Connections are made.

Stigmas disappear.

I found comfort in the stories that the other cast mates had written because suddenly, I was not alone in some of my feelings surrounding motherhood.  I experienced the “me, too” phenomenon that Ann talks about in the video.

I hope that if you attend a Listen to Your Mother Show that you feel the incredibly validating “me, too” feeling.


However, if you are not local, here is a list of cities that do have a Listen to YourMother show.

I hope to see you there!

  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard about LTYM somewhere (TV show, etc ???) a long while back & thought it was a Great concept for a show. Something Everyone could relate to & enjoy. Not to mention how interesting others life stories will be. I Love to hear others life experiences. Makes us all a lil more human & humane. When you posted you'd be in the cast, I got more excited!! LOL! Break a leg!! Great blog!! Sandy

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

Thanks, Sandy! I hope to see you there!!

New York Mama said...

I know this is HUGE & am thrilled & proud that you will be a part of it. Since I won't be able to attend, can barely wait to see your performance on You Tube!!!
For those who don't quite understand what this is Google "LTYM You Tube", & listen to some of the readings AWESOME & INSPIRING!!! <3

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

Thank, New York Mama!