Thursday, February 20, 2014

Putting Yourself Out There: My Listen to Your Mother Metro Detroit Audition


For the past four and a half years, I have been putting myself out there blogging and writing about my life and opinions.  I still feel that tingle of excitement and nervousness as I click the publish button.  Sometimes I get a comment, most times not, but either way, I never really see the people and their facial expression as they read my posts.

This all changed when I auditioned for Listen to Your Mother Metro Detroit. 

I first learned about Listen to Your Mother at a BlogHer conference.  The women that read at the open mic night were women I had admired, especially Wendi Aarons as she read her open letter to Brand Manager of Proctor and Gamble, manufacturer of Always Maxi Pads.

Later,I could see other favorite writers read their pieces on the Listen to Your Mother’s YouTubechannel.  I knew I wanted to be apart of this production.  I wasn’t sure how, if, or when it would happen, so I just kept my eyes open for any opportunity near me.


My chance came a few weeks ago.  I read a piece of writing that was extremely personal which took me forever to write.

As I sat in front of the producers, my voice trembled as I fought back tears.

Tears for when I remembered the experience as it happened.  Tears for sharing thoughts I don’t normally share out loud.  Tears because of all this took an enormous amount of courage for me.

I left the audition not really knowing what the producers thought about my piece. I did leave knowing this:

It takes guts to put myself out there, to create something, to be a maker. No matter what, I need to be proud of that.

And I was proud, but for the next couple of weeks, I tried not to refresh my email every hour 10 minutes to see if I had been chosen.

I am excited to say that I have been given an opportunity to share my story on stage with the first cast of Listen to Your Mother Metro Detroit.

I am beyond thrilled to be a part of this production and have a chance to work with some very talented writers.

I started blogging because I just wanted to write, share my story, and connect with others.  

This is a culmination of my intentions in a way I never dreamed of.



listen to your mother metro detroit


2 comments:

angela said...

I am so glad you're going to be part of the cast!

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

Thanks so much, Angela!!