Monday, January 13, 2014

Motivational Monday: My Thoughts on Running

In September, I decided to do the Couch to 5K so working out would not get lost in the shuffle of life.  Trying to make it to a class and hoping there is space available was jus too difficult, and 30-45 minutes 2-3 times a week on the treadmill seemed doable.  I just wanted to keep sane and not gain weight.  I never expected to love it.

And if I'm being totally honest, I didn't think I could do it. I have friends that were talking about running 5K during a workout or even a race, and, to me, that was equivalent to running to California and back.  I just didn't think running a 5K was a fitness goal that I could reach.

Right before Christmas, I completed the Couch to 5K program by running 3.92 miles.  I felt amazing! I did it!  I accomplished this feat that seemed unrealistic and totally out of my league.
Motivational Monday Mommy on the Spot  Couch to 5K


It was not easy: the first 15 minutes of each run make me wonder why I am torturing myself.  Once that wanes and the endorphins kick in, and I feel like the synapses for sadness become rewired. I feel happy. 

I even kept it up during the holidays, which is totally unheard of in my book.  I usually let the mental stress get to me and just try to sleep and eat as many cookies as I can.  

Then I hit a snag and haven't run in 2 weeks.  I blame Snowpocalypse along with a sinus infection/headache that was slowly sucking my motivation to do anything.

During these two weeks, my head is fuzzy.  Never getting off the couch and staying in my fleece jammies under a fleece blanket seems totally reasonable. I'm tired so I must need more rest, right!?

This is a lie.

I've been down this path before. The one where my body says it's time for hibernation. 

And I'm not falling for it this time.

Running makes me stronger. I feel focused.  I want to drink less coffee. I fit into my jeans.  I feel more mentally stable. I feel confident that I accomplished something I never thought feasible.

That warm, fuzzy blanket and cozy couch will be there when I get back.

But now that I realize how I feel when I run, I know that today, practicing kindness looks like going to the gym and running myself back to normal again.

motivational monday mommy on the spot thoughts on running


Do you struggle with wanting to work out and relaxing? What keeps you motivated?


No comments: