Wednesday, August 22, 2012

La Femme Fashion Show




A few posts ago, I wrote about going to my very first casting call for a fashion show.  I have some super exciting news – I made the cut!  Tomorrow, at the La Femme Fashion Show I will make my debut on the runway at (minus that one time as a kid when I walked the runway at Burlington Coat Factory to model the new spring fashion.  I feel the fashion world didn’t recognize my potential at that point in time).

I am excited to be participating in such a fun event!  La Femme Fashion Show is going to feature fall trends from the selected store at The Village of Rochester Hills and is going to take place at Meadowbrook Hall.  I am going to be modeling a denim, southwest look from Chico’s.  Did I mention that I have to get my makeup done, too?  It will be nice to take a break from my regularly scheduled life to do something glamorous and fun.

However, I have to admit, there is a little part of me that is nervous.  (And by little, I actually mean a lot).  I am no stranger to being in front of a crowd.  I danced in recitals and competitions for years.  But this is a little different.  This is a solo performance, not a group dance routine where I can blend in the background.  Walking is something I do every day, all day so it should be easy and natural.   But with all those eyes on me, I sometimes forget which foot comes first.  And then I feel all heavy and awkward.  Which then brings up some repressed memories of being in the sixth grade, and trying to fit in with a bad perm, acne, and braces. 

But I digress.  Honestly, I just hope that I don’t fall down face first on the catwalk and end up “fashion road kill” like Carrie Bradshaw in my favorite episode of Sex and the City.

Even though I am nervous, I am equal parts excited to have an opportunity to do something I never thought I would do.  I am going to have fun and revel in this unexpected twist in my personal journey.  I’m going to show my kids that being anxious doesn’t have to be the determining factor in overcoming fear, but that courage and a sense of adventure are the essence of living a full life.

Have you done anything scary lately?


1 comment:

Marinka said...

That is awesome! Can't wait to hear how it went.