Thursday, November 10, 2011

What Do You Think Thursday with Skinny Scoop: Switch Witch 2011



Halloween? Not my favorite holiday. The only saving grace is candy. The sweet and salty perfection of a Reece’s Peanut Butter Cup and the lusciousness of gooey coconut paired with the roasted almond covered in smooth milk chocolate of an Almond Joy *almost* makes up for all the other shortcomings of this holiday.



Seriously, I could eat those two candies for the rest of my life. They make my heart race. I feel all glow-y and happy inside. (Real Mommy Chronicles calls this chocolate wasted). If I could live on these two chocolate candies for the rest of my life, I would.



Because I can handle my chocolate.



But Thomas? He cannot handle his chocolate. He has a serious sweet tooth that I fear he will fight from now until eternity.



Here’s how a typical conversation begins:



Thomas: (in super cute, high pitched voice) I have one piece candy?

Me: No, not now. You can have some raisins.

Thomas: (again in super cute voice now accompanied with adorable hand gestures) Just little bit candy. Please?

Me: No, but you can have a banana.

Thomas: (in scary, roaring voice that sharply contrasts the sweet little voice he just used): NO BANA! CANDY! I WANT CANDY!  GGGRRRRR!!!! (now he attempting to break through the childproofed cupboard to get his fix)


All of this before 8:30 a.m.



I decided it was time for the Switch Witch since we had so much success with it last year. The idea was introduced to me by my friend, Laura. You have your kids pick out a few pieces of their favorite candy, and leave the rest behind for the Switch Witch. When the kids are sleeping, the Switch Witch takes all the extra candy and switches it with a movie or a toy or a craft.



Brilliant!



This year the Switch Witch brought a set of tempera paint, foam turkey crafts, and glue sticks.



Thank goodness! We are trapped in the house because Marie is sick, and since I took away our pastime of eating candy and I cannot stand to watch My Little Ponies, we are doing crafts.












We had candy?  What candy? This is sooo much better.




So here’s my Skinny Scoop survey of the week:





Hope everyone is having a great week!



If you missed it, I have written some posts for The Macomb Patch and Whole Living. Check them out and let me know what you think!

3 comments:

New York Mama said...

Such a GREAT way to take their thoughts off CANDY!!!

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

Thanks! We had a lot of fun!

An Authentic Life said...

back when my kids were small, i suppose I was the switch witch - as I ate it all!!!