Thursday, September 29, 2011

What Do You Think Thursday with Skinny Scoop: Do You Think It’s Important to Take Family Vacations?

I’ve been back from Disney World for almost a week now, and I *still* feel like I am trying to recover. My last post showed the photo op moments (well, a few out of the 198 + that I took). Although those photos depicted real parts of the experience, it didn’t present the whole picture.



The operative word being “experience” because anyone who has ever been to the Magic Kingdom with little ones knows it is no vacation. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever worked harder off-site than I did at Disney.



Even though there were five adults to two Babes, it was still tough. Thomas wanted to be carried. They didn’t want to share the stroller. I had to take Marie to the bathroom a gazillion times. Thomas needed his diaper changed. So just picture it, 95 degree heat with 214 percent humidity holding either a thirty-four pound toddler or pushing a stroller with a gigantic bag full of “necessities.” (We all took turns).



I won’t even begin to tell the story about how I thought Thomas had finished taking care of business in his pull-up when half-way through the change (outdoors, in a secluded alcove meant for strollers, right before a massive downpour) it becomes obvious that he was, in fact, not done.



Then factor in trying to figure out what park to go to that day, checking the wait times for each ride, then checking the wait times for the Fast Pass, looking at a map for the most direct route while trying to explain to a two and half year old why licking monorail windows and eating bus seats (which, if you ask him, tasted like chicken) took a lot of brain power. A. Lot. (I did all that checking with an app, which was awesome)!



So, yeah, it was a lot of work. And those photos I shared with you show none of that.



You know what else they don’t show?



They don’t show how Marie lit up inside when she saw a replica of the Eiffel Tower in France (World Showcase in Epcot). The pictures don’t show how excited she was in the Impressions de France movie that she grabbed my arm and said, “Thank you so much, Mommy!” then gave me a kiss.



They don’t show the time that just Thomas and I played with his new Buzz Lightyear doll while I pretended to be Zurg on the monorail while the rest of the crew stayed at the park.



Are family vacations a lot of work?



Yes.



Did I think I might have a meltdown?



Yes, I did. Only two minor ones, which I don’t think is too bad for a seven day adventure.



Do I think family vacations are worth all of this?



Yes. And then some.



There is just something about traveling with your family that is undeniably difficult, but through those challenges, memories are created that bond us together.



The importance of traveling was instilled in me at a very young age. For that, I am grateful. Those memories are some of the strongest and most favorite ones that I have. And I want to be able to give that to my Babes as well.



Check out my Skinny Scoop survey. What do you think?















4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a test comment.

Beverly said...

Family vacations are one of the most important things you will ever do with your family. However they do need to be old enought to enjoy them and also to remember them. I hate to tell you but you are going to have to do the Disney thing again when they are older.

Deena Smith said...

Great blog! My husband and I have two young children and although I have been looking for some Family Activities, I am absolutely terrified to take them on a full fledged family vacation! I am thinking we should start out with some day trips because I also think traveling/vacations are a great idea!

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

Deena, thanks so much for reading! I would totally start out with day trips. That really helped me get my bearings for the Big Trip.