Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Delicate Line Between Surfing and Drowning

I feel like I am going to be rambling here. I feel like I am having a hard time to finding the time to write. It’s just that I feel that The Babes are going through this transition phase. Thomas is napping less, and Marie needs a bit more of attention lately. So because there is less nap time, by the time I take care of stuff around the house and spend some time with Marie, there is little time left for anything else.

So I’ve tried to wake up earlier (like 5:45 a.m.) to have some alone time. Sometimes that works, but sometimes more sleep wins. Sometimes The Babes wake up at 6:30, so that doesn’t work either.

I’ve tried to write while they are watching their morning shows. However, the minute, the absolute minute I sit down, they find their way to me and the computer. No matter how engrossed they are in a show, if I sit down by myself or dial the phone, their little mommy antennas go off and send them right to me.

Night time is hard to stay motivated because I am so tired.

My first priority is taking care of The Babes. I know that they need me, and I am happy to be there for them. I know it’s not going to be like this forever. And to be truthful, I will be sad when it’s not. I mean, they are just so sweet. And I don’t want to look back and wish I spent more quality time with them.

And then I am getting ready to go to California for Harrington’s work conference again. (And if anyone has any restaurants that they recommend in Dana Pointe, please let me know). And I’m really excited, don’t get me wrong, but WOW, it’s a lot of work to find clothes that are not SAHM-wear, to get arrangements settled for The Babes, to get the house ready, to get things ready for upcoming birthday season. And this is all great because I love to travel and celebrate birthdays.


But . . . .

I just wish there was a tad bit more balance.

I feel like I am on this surfboard, and I am riding the wave, feeling pretty damn good that I figured out something that works. And then, from out of nowhere, this huge wave crashes in on me and all of a sudden, I am tumbling around the surf like a piece of drift wood. I am doing the best I can to keep my head above the water. I’m surviving. But surviving is not the same as surfing.

And if I had my sense of humor right now, this is how I would have said this:




(Just substitute “Valentine’s Day” for “weekend away”)

(That Mompeition. She’s brilliant).



So that’s where I am at right now.

How do you find balance in your life? I could use some suggestions.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Mompetition. So funny.

I find balance through my Google calendar. LOL! Seriously, my whole life is on that stupid thing. And I'm a big planner...I have things planned out a year in advance.

Also, not having a kid yet probably has a huge impact!

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

Hmmm, Google calendar. I'll have to give that a try.

Anonymous said...

I have no balance. I just bob in the surf like a cork and go with it.

Your pal,

Aunt D.

Eileen said...

Flylady and my timer. My kids are also masters at gravitating to me the second I sit down. And since I'm doing a course in the evenings, these days I'm finding myself a little desperate for me time. I'd also like to get up earlier, but most of the time sleep wins.
Flylady helps me get my groove back when I lose it for a few days, without my getting too overwhelmed (which happens easily), and I can get the kids into helping me with stuff using the timer. I can also set the timer and tell the kids that this is my five minutes... no bugging me. Sometimes that works.

RealMommyChron said...

Like you, I have solutions to surf temporarily, but never consistently.

I think this is just life...or at least the life of a mom. And certainly the life of a mom trying to also work.

At least we're all in it together?