Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Why I am Going to the Listen to Your Mother Metro Detroit 2015 Show


I am so excited for the Listen to Your Mother show in Detroit this Sunday, April 26 at 2pm!  I bought my ticket  and cannot wait for an afternoon of storytelling.


In case you don’t know what the Listen to Your Mother show is all about, it’s a live event in which the storytellers talk about any aspect of motherhood – whether you are a mother, want to be a mother, or about a mother.  I wrote more about it here last year, or this check out this YouTube clip.



I read in the 2014 show, and it really was a life changing moment.  How could baring your soul for all to see and then having it live forever on YouTube not change your life?

But it was more than that – it was listening to others share their truths.  It was finding myself in some of their stories and being touched by honest, raw moments.

My life hasn’t been the same since this show. See, we are conditioned to bury our truths and ignore the ugly, difficult parts of our lives.  This show brought light into those dark places. Reading my story gave me courage not only to stand in front of an audience and share my fears of being a mom; it gave me strength to live my life more honestly and not be afraid of any truth.

And to know that there are other people out there willing to speak their truths was comforting to me, kind of like we are on the same team of truthsayers.

I mean, take a look at the quotes by last year’s cast members in this video created by Angela Youngblood, one of the producers of Listen to Your Mother Detroit.


I am looking so forward to this year’s show produced by The Angelas (Angela Youngblood and Angela Amman).  I can’t wait to laugh and cry and think, “Me too!”

Also, I am super excited to hear my Aunt Diane read her story this year!





Erin Janda Rawlings Mommy on the Spot There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you. Maya Angelou
Thank you, Listen to Your Mother, for giving people a space to bear their stories!

No comments: