Monday, January 6, 2014

Motivation Monday: Practicing Kindness = More Sleep



I do not claim to be a parenting expert.  I don’t prescribe to an absolute theory or method.  I go mostly by my intuition, assessing results, and making the necessary adjustments.

I repeat this process many times.  Many, many times.

But the one thing that I feel that I am doing right is telling my kids to practice kindness.

I don’t like telling them to be nice because if they aren’t nice, then it is implied that they are bad.  And I am just not comfortable with that.

So instead I say, “Practice kindness.”  Sometimes you nail it, sometimes you don’t.  And as the wise Happy Monster Band says, “Practice makes progress.”  You can just try again.

I am going to take my own advice and practice kindness towards myself, which is my theme for 2014.

I totally push myself all the time – to keep my blog afloat, to keep my teaching deadlines, to keep my mental and physical health in check, to be present for my kids.  And I love the feeling of fitting it in – it is an adrenaline high for me.  But that adrenaline high only lasts so long.  And once it is quickly gone, I am tired and wished I had been gentler with myself.  Yet being kind to myself is always last on my list.

Well, kindness and sleep.

In January, I am exhausted, lost in a haze of balancing holiday madness and everyday stuff.  I usually just power through and fight the urge to rest.  But this January, practicing kindness means making sure I get enough sleep.  Nothing trips up my perspective more than not getting enough sleep.  Ironically, it is the first thing I cut when things get hectic.

This month, I am going to make sleep a priority.   That will probably mean more hat days and less makeup, and I am totally OK with that.  I am really looking forward to seeing how I feel after a month of being well rested.  Because I seriously can’t remember what that feels like.

Do you have a theme for 2014?  Do you have any goals that you are working on? I’d love to hear about them.

Practice Kindness Mommy on the Spot



No comments: