Thursday, July 25, 2013

What I Hope to Gain at BlogHer


Today, I make my yearly sojourn to BlogHer

I didn't think I would be able to make it, you know, with moving and starting a new job and then adding additional responsibilities said job.

But I am.

And I filled with the anticipated mash up of emotions of excitement/freedom/guilt.

Maybe a touch more guilt bc Thomas had a difficult understanding that I need a bit if time each day to do my work. Lacking language to adequately express himself, he acts out. And this week, I wasn't feel centered enough to handle it in the best way. So to spare you the painful details (or myself from reliving some pretty low parenting points), I will just say that there were some strong power struggles in which poor Marie became caught in the crossfire. This resulted in a trip to the Dairy Queen for some ice cream therapy.




But I digress

Going to BlogHer feels different this year. I have such a clearer vision of what I hope to gain.
I, of course, am looking to learn how to build this little ol' blog of mine and share the newest social media information with my students. But I am also looking to get some badly needed inspiration from the breakfast keynote speaker, Sheryl Sandburg of Lean In. There have been more than a few times in recent weeks where I thought the benefits of me working super part time dis not outweigh the guilt of putting boundaries around my time or the stress of managing summer time schedules.
But there is a part of me that knows how much I need this. 

I am blazing a new trail for myself, one that is lacking in role models. I am hoping to find some words of wisdom that will help me during these confusing times.


Are you attempting something new? Are you a trailblazer? Who is your inspiration? What words of wisdom do you have to offer?

No comments: