Tuesday, May 13, 2014

And Now You are 8 Years Old


 Dear Marie,

You are now eight years old.  It hardly seems possible since I remember the day you cautiously entered the world like it was yesterday.

When I think back, those early days perfectly foreshadowed the person you would become.  You approach everything with a careful, watchful eye and need to do a great deal of observing before participating.

When you were a baby and a toddler, I remember that your physical and occupational therapists look down on these traits saying that you were too shy.  They got that wrong – you are not shy; you are an introvert.

Your introvert personality has wonderful qualities – you are insightful, articulate, and thoughtful.  You L.O.V.E. reading and writing, and you are really good at both of these.

But your introvert personality has a flip side, too.  You have a tendency to overthink things.  You worry a lot.  Change is hard for you.  I mean, really hard.

And this year has been all about change – changing schools, changing homes, changing friends, changing swim teams.

My heart broke as you struggled with all of this newness.  Many mornings I watched you get on the bus with tears in your eyes.  So many times I had to fight the urge to take you off the bus and let you stay home.  When you struggled to go to sleep because the rush of thoughts would not stop, I would feel guilty that I passed on this horrible trait to you.

But you never gave up. 

You went to school everyday and never asked me to keep you home or pick you up early.   

I want to let you know how proud I am of you for fighting for your peace of mind.


I am proud of you for accepting help from others and using the tools you were given to help yourself.

You inspire me with your perseverance, your courage, and your strength.


My wish for you is to choose joy, even when it seems easier to let worry wash over you.  Believe me, joy might be harder, but it is always worth it.

I will always be here for you.  Always. 


I love you forever,

Mom


Marie's 8 birthday mommy on the spot erin janda rawlings

8 comments:

Mrs. Weber said...

Beautiful post, Erin! I just think she sounds like the sweetest child. Bless her heart for getting through a tough year -- all those changes would be hard on anyone. Hope she continues her love of reading and writing forever -- both passions will take her far. Cheers to 8 years!

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

Thanks so much, Lauren!!

Annelyse said...

Hey Erin, I loved your post. It is so hard to watch them struggle with new things- to want to rescue but to know that they have to do it on their own in order to grow. Keep up the good work Mommy!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!! Marie is such a smart & pretty girl. Always a pleasure to talk with. She is articulate & has blown my mind a few times w/her vocabulary! LOL! Happy 8th Birthday to Marie!! :-) Sandy

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

Thanks, Annelyse! I needed to hear that today. Sometimes I wonder if I am doing the right thing with her. Thanks for reminding me that they need to do these things on their own.

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

Thanks, Sandy!!

Unknown said...

This is beautiful. Love to the whole Rawlings crew!!

Unknown said...

This post made me cry. I can see the love that you have for your daughter, she is lucky to have a great mom like you. I can relate as my daughter has moved from Canada, to California than Michigan. It is hard for a child to go through changes. Keep up the great work that you do for her. You should be proud of yourself.