Friday, June 21, 2013

Week One of Summer Vacation

Happy First Full Week of Summer!!

This week was pretty awesome, I must say.  I wrote for the Detroit News MichMoms blog that I was going to take it slow this summer.  Between moving and unpacking and driving to Marie’s old school and unpacking and then unpacking some more, I didn’t want to be on a tight schedule of doing anything.


However, doing nothing as a mom is impossible.  Groceries don’t buy themselves, and Marie can’t drive herself to swim lessons quite yet.

Although I start the day out relaxed, somewhere around lunch time I look at the clock in astonishment that half the day is gone.  Well, maybe not half.  We’ve been rocking a late bedtime resulting in a slower morning.  Breakfast at 9:00am??  Playing at the playground until 7:30pm?  S’mores on the patio at 8:30pm?  Falling asleep at 10:00pm.  Actually, now that I think about it, our summer hours are probably regular hours for everyone else.  During the school year, my morning has been is almost over by 9:00am, and I don’t think that is the norm.

The Type-A, early riser has some misgivings about such late hours because I have already labeled myself as “early bird” and fear the world may end if I have to change the label to “night owl.”  However, there is a big part of me that is reveling in the freedom of not being ruled by the clock.  Who cares if we don’t get outside until 2:00pm if you don’t go to bed until 9:30, right?!


Eventually, I think I am going to have find a happy medium because our witching hour antics have been amped up.  The meltdowns that happen without warning can be a bit jarring, and really the only pitfall in this whole slow summer movement.

So how is your summer shaping up so far?

S'mores to the break of dawn



1 comment:

Bossy Betty said...

Don't you just love not having to live and die by a schedule? Viva Summer! Thanks for much for dropping by this morning!