Thursday, May 12, 2011

Five Years Ago . . .

 Marie turned five this week. I cannot believe it. I honestly cannot believe it. I’m not one to get all mushy when The Babes get older; it’s more sweet (no diapers!) than bitter (there’s nothing quite like rocking a new baby). So I have a lot of feelings about this, but because I am manning the ship alone this week, and I am taking Marie on a road trip this weekend, I have not yet had time to think about all this. The train doesn’t drive itself, you know?

It will probably catch up with me at her preschool graduation ceremony.

Anyway, I liked this post I wrote last year when Marie started preschool. She’s come a long way. I read this, and I can’t believe that was us five years ago.

____________________________________________________________________


Suck it, Marge!

Dear Marge:
This is Marie’s Mom, and if you don’t remember, she was a former patient of yours. She was diagnosed with macrocephaly at birth. When I was told that that was a big, fancy word for a big head, I didn’t think it was a big deal. The implications of that, along with a low tone diagnosis at 4months were when I realized that this was a big deal. That and the pediatrician recommended that she see a neurosurgeon for regular visits were a clue that something was not right. We discovered that she extra fluid around her brain (hydrocephaly) and were not sure if she would need a stint to drain it. We were not sure if she would have cerebral palsy because of her low tone. It was a very stressful time. At 9 months of age, she qualified for services. And that’s when you entered the picture as her first physical therapist.

She used to cry whenever you came over to work with her. You seemed to lack that gentleness that is helpful, if not necessary, to work with babies. It was hard for you to accomplish anything with her because she had a hard time not crying with you. You also asked me to leave the room since you attributed her crying to my presence, not your roughness and general crabby demeanor. Being a new mom, I stood in the kitchen peaking around the corner, watching my poor baby girl crying while you tried to execute your exercises. I endured that and a lot more because I was desperate for her to get better. However, what was most memorable about you was when you told me she would be destined to be a leaner because she would never have enough strength to always stand straight and that I would be lucky if she walked without braces and by the age of two.

Well, Marge, that little baby is now three years old. As she RAN into her classroom the first day of preschool, many things came to mind. Most were the normal things a mom of a “regular” kid would be thinking: I was so proud of her for being independent and brave. She looked so cute and happy. But then another thought ran across my mind, and it was, “Suck it, Marge!” I say suck it because here was this baby who you said wouldn’t walk until she was two and possibly with braces and she RAN into that room. And you know what? She RUNS everywhere, and she CLIMBES up the ladder to go down the slide. Oh, and she JUMPS, too! So, Marge, be careful what you say to new moms because it could wind up biting you in the ass. I understand you needed to be honest about Marie’s condition, but perhaps you could take some professional development classes on bedside manner because your ambivalence about her condition was heart wrenching to hear. And if I could, I would forward my therapy bill to you because you did a lot of damage with those comments and telling me to leave the room because my baby was crying because of me. She was crying because of you and your negative energy.

So, Marge, suck it! My baby girl is in preschool and doing great! No thanks to you, of course.

Yours truly,
Marie’s Mom

P.S. Tell Noelle her note about Marie’s “anti-social” behavior is coming soon!

7 comments:

Krajcimama said...

I just have to let you know that I love this post. I'm really far behind on blog reading because life keeps getting in the way of my "me" time but this was just an AWESOME post! :)

I love when people who tell us the worst is going to happen are totally wrong. I love when "mean" people get a big "neener neener neener - you suck!"

I'm also thrilled that you little gal is doing wonderful!

Elizabeth-FlourishinProgress said...

A VERY (belated) Happy Birthday to Marie!

Can I add another "suck it" to Marge? When Cal was born, she spent some time in the NICU and there was one nurse there who was always so morose about everything. Hey lady, what the heck are you doing in a NICU anyway? When Cal left rosy and happy and healthy, I think this nurse may have been a little miffed because her "predicted outcome" wasn't met. Whatever, NICU nurse, suck it!

Mom et al said...

Happy Birthday to Marie! I hope you had a wonderful weekend together.:)

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

@Karjcimama, thanks so much!! That's totally how I feel! SUCK IT!!

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

@Elizabeth, so glad you added that! What is it with people who get disappointed that their morbid outcome was not met? You would think, since they are working with people, they would rather see their patients doing better and actually happy about being wrong. I think their egos might be getting in their way, ya know?

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

@Mom et al, thanks so much! It was a great weekend!

Amy said...

Oh, I LOVE this post so much!! The image of you being asked to leave the room while your baby girl is crying breaks my heart. What an awful person to treat you and Marie in such a way.

Happy birthday to your perfect Marie. This is the best thing I've read all day:)