Friday, February 4, 2011

Feel Good Friday – An Open Letter to All of Those That Made My Snow Day

Come join The Girl Next Door Grows Up for some
Feel Good Friday Fun!

As you know, I had a snow day on Wednesday. As far as snow days go, or any other days for that matter, went awesome! I have a few people to thank for an awesome day:

My neighbor Lana, thank you for the idea to bake cookies. I was originally going to bake bread, but when you said that you were going to bake cookies, it sounded like way more fun. You and your family are always doing fun things like that. Thanks for the inspiration.

Giada De Laurentiis, thank you for an awesome cookie sandwich recipe. Marie saw this on TV and wanted to make it. I thought, what better time to make delicious treats than trapped inside during Snowmageddon (which actually not as dramatic and has resulted in newly developed trust issues with my local weather person). Also, I thought it would be cool for her to see something done on TV and feel a sense of pride that she actually could make it. Marie really looks up to you. And in the age of Miley Cyrus, I think it’s great that there is someone who is using her creativity in a positive way as opposed to dancing up on a pole.

As it turns out, my Babes are natural bakers. If there is a camp or an extracurricular club to develop their palettes and food presentation skills, I need to find it. (Giada or Ann Burrell, do you travel for toddler/preschool seminars? If not, please have your managers look into it. It would be great for birthday parties. But, shhh, don’t tell those Real Housewives of Beverly Hills about this little Midwestern girl’s fabulous idea. I don’t want Taylor latching on after her $60,000 birthday party for her four year old.) Actually, I think if they could just play with a Kitchen Aid Mixer or any high powered small kitchen appliance, they’d be happy. Thomas really took a liking to the Kitchen Aid Mixer and wasn’t happy with level three. He wanted MORE POWER!

Ghiradelli, thank you for your 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chips. They. Are. Luscious. Sorry, Nestle Tollhouse, you will always hold a soft, gooey semisweet place in my heart. But you, Ghiradelli, “I love you” doesn’t seem adequate enough to truly express my adoration for your product. I think the 4 ounces of cream cheese to 2 ½ cups of powdered sugar filling was suppose to be the star of this cookie sandwich, but you were the show stealer.

Michelle S., thank you, thank you, thank you for showing me the light when it comes to quality baking pans. My cookies were always had very burnt crispy bottoms and would tilt in the oven. You told me that the baking pans that I bought at the grocery store for $5 along with my craptastic nonstick pans were the reason. In my head, I knew that this made sense, however I didn’t realize just how right you were. These cookies were perfection. And the pans didn’t warp in the oven! Mwuah!!


See, here's how the day went:


Future Bakers of America
MORE POWER!
One of the best parts of baking.




Yum!

Waiting . . .



The frosted half.  Delish, right?


"Cookie!  Yea!" 
She frosted that all by herself!  She's so proud of herself
and so am I!
The final product!  Can't you just taste that dark
chocolate cookie with the creamy-sugary filling?!




Thank you, everyone, for your participation in a wonderful day. I found project that both Babes can do together and love it! (This is no easy task for an almost two year old and almost five year old, mind you). Being a mom is peppered with lots and lots of challenges. So when I have a good day and feel everyone’s needs were met AND we had the kind of fun which created some warm and fuzzy memories, I feel like a super star.

Which hopefully they’ll remember and not the month of January where we all became sloths in front of the TV.

Have a great weekend!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I need to know about the cookie sheets! I have that problem, and my wish list has new cookie sheets on it! Any particular brand?

New York Mama said...

Those warm fuzzy memories were transported right here with your post & those pics!!!! Look how involved and present those darlings are! Those cookies look fantastic! You can just tell what a fun family project this was! Even Dad got to participate by eating, right? Love Marie's top! Also am a BIG believer in the best quality baking utensils. Will have to try Giada's chips (thanks)!
What a wonderful TOTAL experience brought to them & us by AMAZING you! <3
Wish I could come over & do this with you ALL!

Anonymous said...

I need some of those for sure. Must make them this weekend.

BTW, I love the black border around the photos.

Anonymous said...

Wow - I really suck as a mother. I need to get crafty with my kids. You kids made nice dark chocolate coookie together and came away with all their limbs. My kid drew a picture of a monster reindeer running a grandmother down in cold blood. Please excuse me...*shuffles off with head down*

Anonymous said...

I've got to admit: I'm a little jealous of everybody's snow days. I think the best way you can make this up to me is by sending me some of those delicious treats. Mmmmmm!

dollycas aka Lori said...

What a great snow day. I miss my kids being little, all they did was sleep, watch movies and play video games and a small amount of snow removal. I miss the days like you just shared but it brought back some wonderful memories.

Dollycas

JoAnna said...

Sandwich cookies are awesome. IN a pinch, use cool whip, then freeze and you get the best ice cream sandwiches and they don't really melt like ice cream does. Thanks for reading me over at the the girl next door's!

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

@traduda, they were from SAm's Club. Two for $10, aluminum. AWESOME! I also have one from Target with red on the bottom of the tray. They are good, too.

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

@New York Mama, wish you were here, too!!

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

@Thanks! I edited my photos on Vingette on my phone.

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

@Lily, please don't feel like that! Like I said, we have spent pretty much the month of January in TV coma. . . which doesn't make for interesting blog posts.

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

@Lessons, I would TOTALLY send those to you . . . but I am not sure if they would keep :(

In a realted note, I would have crushed all 12 sandwiches when I was pregnant with Marie. Not with Thomas, because chocolate tasted like dirt. Weird, right?

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

@Dollycass, thanks so much!

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

@Sparkling, I think that filling would taste even better! Thanks for the idea! I will have to try that next time.

RN Mama said...

Yummy Yum Yum!! Those cookies look delish!!

P.S. I'm leaving you an award at my blog:)