Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Year-End Review

For those who celebrate Christmas, I hope you had a nice holiday. Mine was good . . . for the most part. However, I am not ready for a postmortem post about all the merriment. See, we did some things differently this year. And some of it went really, really well. And other things didn’t quite happen as I had envisioned. Or even a mediocre alternative. Stay tuned for another post.

 
So moving forward (to give me time to process Christmas), I am doing The Year-End Review that I found at Whole Living by Sarah Susanka , the author of The Not So Big Life. (And I will also be attempting The Whole Living Action Plan 28-Day Challenge starting Monday. I. am. nervous. Check out these recipes!! Stay tuned for more posts about that. And please feel free to join me in this challenge. I’d love the company).


And here I present to you my Year-End Review:

THE PAST YEAR
How have you spent your time?

I have spent the majority of my time taking care of The Babes

 
  • Meeting their basic needs.
  • Molding their young minds into kind-hearted human beings. (Oooh, that sounds simple, but those on the front lines of motherhood know that this is no easy task. If it was, therapists would be out of business).
  • Cultivating a relationship between The Babes. (It seems to be working).

 

You know what's so great about this?
 I didn't even ask them to pose.
Marie had just fallen off the broom and
wanted to be sure Thomas didn't.
Playing alone.  Without me to moderate.
Pretend sleepovers.
 
I have also been really working on writing and my blog.
  • Thank you much, Mommy Wants Vodka and your concept of Bringing Aunt Becky Back. You have helped me brush the dust off and wipe the sleep from my eyes. And guess what? I am still here. Different, but here.

 
What are you grateful for?
  • For my Babes and all they have taught me about being a good person.
  • Writing and blogging. It has done wonders for my self-confidence. Also all the wonderful people I have connected with, all by putting myself out there.
  • BlogHer 10, thank you for showing me all the wonderful things that can happen with blogging and writing.

 
What were your sorrows/disappointments?

There has been a lot of disappointment surrounding some of my personal relationships.
  • “No” is a powerful word. And sadly, some “relationships” cannot withstand “no.”
  • Some relationships were not what they appeared to be.
  • When I was busy pouring myself into certain relationships, I failed to notice I was the only one showing up.

 
Cold hard truth: one person cannot carry the weight of a healthy relationship.

 Sad? Yes, I have cried buckets. However, it is . . . freeing, you know, not to feel drained.

 
What books, films, etc. moved you?
  • Eat Pray Love moved me (The book, not the movie . . . although the scenery in the movie was beautiful). . Have you ever read something and felt like someone took the words right out of your head and displayed them elegantly on the pages for you to read? This was that book for me. Minus the divorce and travel.

  • Also Princess and the Frog. (I can hear your snickers, you know.) The message of balance between career and personal life is priceless. Also, The Babes and I bonded over the CD (especially on the trip to BlogHer10). And Thomas insists that I sing “Down in New Orleans.” Every night. At LEAST three times before I put him in his crib.

 
THE PRESENT

How are you different from the way you were a year ago?
  • I understand me better.
  • Better understanding of my personal boundaries and limits.
  • More confident as a mother.
  • Definitely understand the importance of fueling up my tank with healthy things that make me feel good, like writing, yoga, and exercising. I used to look at these things as a luxury, but now a necessity.
How can you integrate the lessons of the past year?
  • Honor my personal boundaries and limits.
  • Not feel guilty when I make a choice in the best interest of my family, and someone does not like it.
 This is hard. I think it all boils down to quieting the external noise and focusing on my instincts. And when people are not happy (especially when they hear the word “no”), they make a. lot. of. noise. But those instincts of mine? Rarely wrong.

 
Is there anything you’re trying to force into existence right now? If so, what would happen if you stopped?
  • Yes. See above about personal relationships. I am pretty sure that if I stopped forcing certain relationships to be what I thought they were, I would eventually be happier.

  • And everything is better when I am happy.

 
 
THE FUTURE

What do you want to focus on in the coming year?
  • Be the best mother I can be.
  • More date nights with Harrington.
  • Keep on writing and blogging.
  • More yoga.
  • Focusing on the healthy relationships.
  • Find more like-minded people who share my values.
Simply put, I want to be the best version of myself. I think only good can come of that, right?

 
 
So, Friends, where have you been in 2010? Where are you going?

 
And if you are interested in doing the 28-Day Whole Living Action Plan, let me know. I could use some team spirit. *spirit fingers*

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post....I need to do this and I need to grocery shop for my Whole Living Action Plan.

Here's something that will be happening in the coming year: more visits with my neice and great neice and nephew!

Thanks for some fun times in 2010 and here's to more in 2011!

Aunt Diane

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

I like your thinkin', pretty lady! Mwah!

Mom et al said...

Happy New Year, Friend! Lovely post! My focus for 2011...organization and balance. Oh, how I hope I find it. :)

Kim Murray said...

Princess and the Frog was a great movie. One of my favorite movies AND favorite soundtracks!

Aunt Becky said...

I love you. I don't know who I'm logged in as right now, but it's Aunt Becky and I'm SO putting something together on Band Back Together for the whole year. We're gonna Bring OURSELVES back this year.

RN Mama said...

It sounds like an eventful year!! One thing that you said which I can totally relate to is about relationships. I've learned that sometimes you just have to cut your losses, and accept that you've done everything you can to make something work.

Wishing you a wonderful 2011!

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

Mom et al, that is an awesome goal!!

Kim, glad I do not stand alone on this one!

Aunt Becky, I love you more!

RN Mama, you are so right! Here's to a great 2011!