Friday, October 29, 2010

Feel Good Friday – Halloween Edition


Today was my daughter’s preschool Halloween party. Not “party” in the sense that there was music and singing and treats.

No, it was more like a race to get through the 5 craft and skills stations in less than 45 minutes. And treats needed to be consumed in that time as well.

I would consider it more like a challenge than a party.

But Marie had a great time and that’s all that matters. (I’ll matter later tonight when I am drinking a Harvest Moon beer while catching up on the Jersey Shore reunion).

And let’s talk about treat bag that were handed out at this party. Our bag was modest with snack size M & M’s and raisins with a homemade tag that Marie used a “Happy Halloween” stamp and wrote her name. Some of these treat bags were over. the. top. Whatever.

So where’s the feel good part of this post you ask? I decided to post a picture from one of my happiest Halloween when I was a kid.


Me as Princess Lea, age 6



I loved this costume. My mom made it for me from white flannel. She did my hair up in those braided buns. And I had a laser gun. How cool is that?!

I won first prize at my elementary school costume parade.

And afterwards, my costume became a nightgown.

Maybe it was because I was a kid and everything was magical back then. Or maybe because times were different and Halloween seemed a whole lot simpler. Or maybe both. But that was one of the best Halloweens ever!

And here’s to hoping that Marie and Thomas will have memories like that as well.

Tell me, Friends, what is your favorite Halloween memory?

And guess what?! My next post will mark my 100th! Can you believe it? I’m so excited!!

Have a great Halloween!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun! What a cute photo.

I love Halloween. I live in Argentina, where it's not really celebrated. Adults may have costume parties, but there's none of that door-to-door trick or treating that I used to do as a kid.

The town where I grew up used to do a ghost walk every year, where they'd walk around to the various supposed haunted houses of the main downtown area. It was a lot of fun, and they'd give you a certificate afterward to show that you'd survived the tour.

Congrats on (almost) 100 posts!

Anonymous said...

I hear you about the over-the-top stuff. It drives me nuts!!! I failed on Sarah this year, but usually I try to get her or Emily (involved) when doing it. I hate the moms that do it all themselves like it is some sort of competition.

5 crafts for Preschoolers?! That happened to Emily in Kindergarten. I volunteered and I don't think anyone had fun. Too much to (not) do well!

Unknown said...

What a great picture...how cute! And yea for 100 posts...

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

Zahirah, than you for stoping by my blog! That ghost walk sounds awesome!

The Girl Next Door, thank goodness I'm not the only one who sees it that way! And when you think about it, it's really quite a silly. I often wonder what is going through the head of a mom who is making these elaborate treat bags,you know?

Moonspun, thanks so much!!